Collected stories as research for projections around the city in 2007

The Grey Lady

I’m not sure whether this counts as Leeds or not, but in Fulneck School, Pudsey (est. 1753, so plenty of opportunities for ghosts and such) there was a popular rumour/legend about a ghost named the “Grey Lady”. The teachers often said that it originated from some old wedding photo that was messed up by some six formers not that long ago (though considering the age of the teachers, “not long ago” was probably the 60s or 70s, at the latest) – but it was always she who was credited when all the lights in a room suddenly went off, and then came back again a panicked few seconds later, and I always suspected that that black cat which could often be seen wandering the corridors and gardens had some connection to her…
There are many other strange things about that place, though I never thought that anyone other than me remembered most of them. And I know that this is very recent, but a few nights ago a boggart, or something like it, (I believe they were called will-o’-the-wisps in the dream, as I couldn’t remember the name) managed to trap me inside a dream-room, and it was only by remembering how to defeat it (it was impervious to physical harm) that I was able to wake up from the dream and the sleep. This experience continues to fascinate and disturb me, as it managed to be simultaneously a dream and not a dream… A bit like the tree thing in Totoro, I suppose. 🙂
Jordan S.

6 Responses

1. pookysu

i attended Fulneck in mid eighties – nineties. The Gray lady was apparenlty on eof tho old matrons who died there . The was alos rumours of a hand print burnt in to the wall at the boys school , that was done by someone called count zindendorff. And a secret tunnel that when from the school all the way to tong !!!! Sadly the only blck cats in corridors that i sa belonged to The headmistress who lived on site!!!

March 12, 2009 at 10:13 am

2. SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

March 17, 2009 at 3:39 am

3. Hi 7lg

March 17, 2009 at 3:42 am

4. Carl Walker

I live near fulneck my dad said he saw a ghost on there when he was younger. me and my mate go for joints there and we would like to know where this secret tunnel is. iv also climbed up to the grey ladies hand and felt it. like you said it was burnt in,i know the ins and outs of fulneck. iv never heard of a secret tunnel though.

February 15, 2010 at 1:16 pm

5. Deb

The Grey Lady was the ghost of Elizabeth Chamberlain – supposedly burried in Fulneck Graveyard, she is said to ride a white horse, often see in the graveyard. The handprint was that of her uncle or brother and its said his hand was cut off and that it was the blood of his hand that is still on the boys building today.

Most Pudseyites will tell you this story – depends on their age as to how indifferent you might hear it.

May 17, 2010 at 4:47 am

6. kat

i go to fulneck school now.. where’s the handprint? i wanna see before ii leave~
    never noticed anythin ghostly..
    that black cat is from our previous headmistress!!! why is there always a black cat in this school??? and they say that there’s a room here where a headgirl hanged herself~ does anyone know the story? and please tell me more about who the grey lady is and where she stayed~
    they also say theres a ghost by the old foodtech near the graveyard~ wonder whats that about…

June 12, 2010 at 11:00 am